Wednesday, December 25, 2013

December 23th 2013

Dear Family and Friends:
 
I am becoming a southener. It's offical. Sometimes others talk about people from the west or the north and then a few moments into the converstation I realize, I'm from the west! I guess what I am trying to say is that I just love it here. 
 
I just love Christmas time! Everywhere I go, I say "Merry Christmas" and everyone smiles back and says it. Christmas has a way of changing peoples attitudes: 
 
1) We met a lady a couple of times at her door and she was never really interested. So finally, our third time seeing her, she tells us that upfront, kindly yet bluntly. As we are leaving, I ask her if it would be ok for us to stop by in a few days to go caroling. Well that changed everything! Next thing I know, she is pointing to her car and describing which one it is so that we will not miss her when she is home! Apparently, she had never had christmas carolers and wanted them. Needless to say we are going back soon! 
 
Random Fact: Did ya'll know that mac' n cheese is a reglar staple at thanksgiving and christmas? Well, I didn't until recently, I sure do love it!
 
Random Sighting: Only in the South do you see huge billboards promoting Jesus Christ. There was one I passed the other day that had a picture of a road that was splitting into two roads with two signs in either direction: One said Heaven, the other said hell. Then it said, which way are you going? I almost died of laughter! I couldn't belive that was seriously there. Once again, I love the South!
 
Random Act of Service: We were driving down the road and saw an older lady on a ladder in a huge oak tree (100-300 years old). So we pulled over and helped her. She was 75 years old and was on a 15 foot ladder in a tree stringing lights! That was not acceptable! It was a lot of fun to help Miss Joe and we had a great time getting to know her. I am grateful that we have this time set apart during our lives that we can just go out and serve full time!
 
We serve with a lot of people who don't have much for christmas, if anything. It's with these people that I have been able to see the true meaning of christmas. Presents are nice, decorations are wonderful, but they aren't needed. They aren't what Christmas is all about. Christmas is about our Savior Jesus Christ. It is about his birth and what he has done for the world. I am so thankful for him. Here is a poem that my Mom sent me:
 
"What can I give him
Poor as I am
If I were a sheperd,
I would give him a lamb.
If I were a wise man,
I would do my part.
But what can I give him?
I will give my heart."
-Christina Rosetti, "My Gift"
 
I know that this is true. No matter what we have or don't have, that we all have something we can give the Savior this Christmas and that is our heart. I am so grateful for the lessons that I have learned this christmas. We have been able to go about and uplift many who needed uplifting. I can't even begin to describe the generosity I have seen given by others. If ya'll can, please go out and offer a little help. If you have the means financially then please do it, if you don't please just go and uplift with your smile, with acts of service, or even with caroling. Remeber, the reason for the season is Christ.
 
Well, I love ya'll and Merry Christmas!
Love, Sister Susan Anderson



No comments:

Post a Comment